- About Us
- Education & Training
- Career Development
- Programs & Degrees
- Undergrads & High School
- News & Events
Scientific Writing Assistance
CTSI offers assistance to investigators writing research grant applications, manuscripts, patent applications, or other research-related materials.
Help the investigator to begin the process
- Examine the specifications of the individual application process to identify requirements such as page limits and font, and determine which general themes need to be emphasized throughout the writing (ex: innovation, collaboration, technology)
- Prepare a time-line for submission that includes all departmental and MCW approvals
- Determine who should provide letters of support
Review hypotheses and aims
- Narrow study focus as appropriate
- Assure that the aims adequately address the hypotheses
Build the case, and then complete the argument
- Present evidence underlying hypotheses
- Identify what isn’t known and how the hypotheses address these questions.
- Explain how learning the answers to these questions will benefit and advance the field
- Predict probable results and anticipate new questions that will be raised by those results
Identify and present all relevant published and unpublished data from this group
- Highlight the accomplishments and expertise of the mentor and his team
- Demonstrate feasibility of the proposed methods by showing that they’re either performed routinely or that the team has a record of innovation and can easily adapt existing methods to match the needs of this project
Outline the methods section
- Identify subject groups and determine inclusion/exclusion criteria link to RPA page
- Assure that study is appropriately powered link to CTSI Biostatistics page
- Outline and strengthen the study procedures and logistics
- Assist with description of lab methodologies
Discuss and outline the Discussion section
- What are the anticipated results?
- What could be potential pitfalls and limitations, and ways around them?
- What benefits are to be derived from carrying out this project?
Review and edit grammar, spelling, and syntax as necessary.