The Clinical & Translational Science Institute (CTSI) in collaboration with the South Carolina Clinical & Translational Research Institute (SCTR) will offer a Team Science in Clinical Research online course. It will begin on January 4, 2021.
As the volume of scientific knowledge has increased over time, it has become increasingly difficult for any single individual to have deep expertise in all areas of science necessary for solving today’s complex health issues. Addressing today’s complex problems requires the high degree of cross-disciplinary collaboration, referred to as “Team Science”. This course will offer practical guidance for how to best engage in this emerging discipline.
MCR 750/IP 772
January 4, 2021 –
April 30, 2021
CTSI Mini-Grant Available?
Yes – details below
An emphasis will be placed on the competencies and processes associated with the concepts of team science in translational. Solving complex societal problems (e.g., environment, poverty, and cancer, health care) requires the integration of specialized knowledge bases. However, as the volume of scientific knowledge has increased over time, it has become increasingly difficult for any single individual to have deep expertise in all needed areas of science. Addressing today’s complex problems requires the high degree of cross-disciplinary collaboration, referred to as “Team Science”. This course offers practical guidance about how best to engage in team science to: pursue complex scientific questions, work effectively with team members, and produce high impact research outcomes that help meet society’s needs.
Newly added for Spring 2021 the course will also offer TeamSTEPPS: TeamSTEPPS is an evidence-based set of teamwork tools, aimed at optimizing patient outcomes by improving communication and teamwork skills among health care professionals. Developed by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), it integrates teamwork into practice to improve the quality, safety, and the efficiency of health care. TeamSTEPPS curriculum is based on a framework of four core competencies: leading teams, mutual support, situation monitoring, and communication. Embedded in the Team Science course, you will learn the framework as well as have the opportunity to receive a TeamSTEPPS certificate by completing six unique experiences (Participants would need to Opt-In for TeamSTEPPS.)
There are no texts that need to be purchased for this course. All course materials and readings are provided within the course online.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Prepare an individual development plan and mentor-mentee plan to highlight interprofessional work and significant published papers and abstracts.
- Complete the NIH Biosketch including the ‘team science’ attributes.
- Describe the research team with synergy rather than summation with metrics.
- Complete a search and identify potential investigators for their team focused on multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary, and transdisciplinary research.
- Formulate a plan to evaluate a scientific team for improvement in team performance.
- Describe factors that contribute to the success of a scientific team.
- Analyze the role of conflict in the life cycle of a scientific team.
The following NCATS/CTSA core competencies in Clinical and Translational Research in Translational Teamwork are associated with the course’s assignments.
- Build an interdisciplinary/ intradisciplinary/ multidisciplinary team that matches the objectives of the research problem.
- Manage an interdisciplinary team of scientists.
- Advocate for multiple points of view.
- Clarify language differences across disciplines.
- Demonstrate group decision-making techniques.
- Manage conflict.
- Manage a clinical and/or translational research study.
The online course will be offered from January 4, 2021 – April 30, 2021. The cost of the course is $250.00 and includes a completion certificate.
For a limited time and number of applicants, the CTSI is offering mini-grants to cover the cost of this class. Since this is an online course, we are able to accept applications up to 1/18/2021 12:00 AM. Apply for a mini-grant through the form below.