Medical College of Wisconsin
The Medical College of Wisconsin is a private, national, freestanding institution. The College was founded in 1893 as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1913 the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine.
In 1967 Marquette University, due to financial constraints, terminated its sponsorship of the medical school. The school then continued as a private, freestanding institution. Its name was changed in 1970 to The Medical College of Wisconsin. The College has more than 14,000 alumni.
A new era of collaboration began in Milwaukee as the National Institutes of Health awarded a $20 million grant to the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin, representing a consortium of eight Milwaukee institutions dedicated to transforming the biomedical research enterprise in Southeast Wisconsin to advance patient care and education.The five-year Clinical and Translational Science Award is being used to create a borderless, synergistic biomedical research enterprise that will accelerate the translation of research discoveries into new and improved medical treatments. The Medical College coordinates the grant, which is administered through a new academic entity recognized by all partner institutions – the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin. The eight member organizations are the Medical College, Marquette University, the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE), the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM), the BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Children’s Hospital and Health System, Froedtert Hospital and the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center. The award gives consortium members the opportunity to share each other’s research resources, technology, knowledge and expertise to work toward common goals in health care. Collaborators may seek adjunct faculty appointments at partnering colleges or universities. The Institute’s research portfolio currently includes more than 140 projects, and over 40 collaborative research studies are already underway, funded through the Medical College’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin program. The grant also is enabling the expansion of academic and training programs. The Medical College has launched a PhD program in basic and translational research, and its new master’s degree program in clinical and translational science now includes coursework at Marquette, MSOE and UWM. Marquette is also developing a PhD program for clinical and translational rehabilitative health sciences. Outreach programs are being created to promote science among undergraduates, and professional development programs will help advance the research careers of young faculty members. The Medical College received a perfect score on its award application and was one of only nine grant recipients this year. Fewer than half of all medical schools in the nation have received a Clinical and Translational Science Award since the program’s inception in 2003. Principal investigator for the College’s grant is Reza Shaker, MD, who also directs the Clinical and Translational Science Institute.